In Mexico, more than 91 percent of donations are made as part of the requirements that patients must meet in hospitals and not because people decide to do it altruistically.
MAZATLAN.- Today more than ever, donating blood altruistically can save lives and keep many people with certain diseases healthy. Currently and due to the health pandemic that we are experiencing with Covid-19, donations have decreased greatly, so the reserves in blood banks are beginning to be affected.
According to information from Jorge Trejo Gómora, director of the National Center for Blood Transfusion (CNTS), of the 500 blood banks that exist in the country, 51 percent are private and 49 percent public.
The Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS) has 182 establishments for the collection of blood and its components.
In Mexico, more than 91 percent of donations are made as part of the requirements that patients must meet in hospitals and not because people decide to do so altruistically. According to the CNTS, the entities that have historically stood out in the national health system for their good levels of voluntary donation are San Luis Potosí, Chihuahua, and Durango.
Do you want to donate blood? Below we leave you the official points that are in the port of Mazatlan and the requirements to be a good candidate.
- Mazatlan General Hospital
Location: Avenida Óscar Pérez Escobosa # 6505
- General Hospital of Zone #3 IMSS
Location: Avenida Ejercito Mexicano. Colony Lopez Mateos
- ISSSTE Hospital Mazatlan
Location: Avenida Mazatlán, corner with Carretera Internacional. Colonia FOVISSTE
- SHARP Hospital Mazatlan
Location: Rafael Buelna Avenue and Dr. Kumate. Colonia Hacienda las Cruces
- Clínica del Mar de Mazatlán
Location Avenida Revolución and General Cabanillas. Colony Lopez Mateos
- San Rafael Blood Bank
Location: Ramón López Alvarado Street. Colonia Palos Prietos
The donation can be made 365 days a year in each blood bank respectively.
What are the requirements to donate?
- Be over 18 years old and less than 65 years old.
- Weigh more than 50 kilos.
- In women: not breastfeeding, not pregnant, their last part must be greater than six months.
- Not having been vaccinated in the last 30 days.
- Not suffering from illness or taking any medication 7 days before donating.
- Have not consumed alcoholic beverages in 3 days.
- Have not used drugs in the last two weeks.
- Have not had any type of surgery in the last six months.
The Mazatlan Post