The 2019 Eastern Pacific Hurricane Season is forecast to be an active one but it sure hasn’t started off that way. Last season’s hyperactivity produced 23 named storms and 13 hurricanes, setting records for total storm energy (ACE) — factoring in the similar climate pattern (most importantly the weak to moderate El Nino), this year is expected to follow with more above-average tropical activity.
In a typical year, we’d be on the third named storm by this point with the first hurricane already on the board. As we start the final week of June, we’ve yet to see our first named storm — but that will likely soon change as the first tropical depression of the season has formed off of Mexico and should become a tropical storm in the next couple days.
If a tropical depression develops this week, it’ll be from the mess of storms off Mexico in the bottom right.
Tropical Depression One-E
- Summary and Forecast: As of the 2pm Tuesday update from the NHC, a tropical depression has developed roughly 600 miles south-southeast of Cabo San Lucas. Gradual strengthening is expected for the next 48 hours as the system tracks west-northwest
- Storm Strength: Max sustained wind of 30 knots
- Position: Roughly 600 miles south-southeast of Cabo San Lucas
- Movement: West-northwest away from the coast of Mexico at 13 knots
- Watches/Warnings/Threats: None at this time
- Surf Impacts: Minimal at this time; small, short period swell to Southern Mexico, maybe something rideable for southernmost Baja. Nothing expected for SoCal at this time
No significant weather or wave impacts are expected from Tropical Depression One-E at this time. Something rideable may develop for Cabo and southernmost Baja around the end of the week.
The Mazatlan Post
- Snowbirds headed north are being told to stay in their Southern nests
- Korean Tiktoker leaves Mexico and says she misses our country for an incredible reason; video goes viral
- Tortilla producers ‘in the fight’ to end the unfair competition in Mazatlan
- Mi Cochinito: first Mexican international social crowdfunding platform