North American Treaty makes it easier for Mexicans to work in Canada


Citizens from other Latin countries such as Chile, Colombia, and Peru could also apply to the USMCA

One of the news that during the last months has captured the attention of the Canadian citizenship, as well as the Mexican and American, has been the renegotiation of theNorth American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which entered into force on January 1, 1994.

Finally, after many stretches and shrinks, the governments of Canada, Mexico, and the United States agreed on a new trade agreement that changes some aspects of the initial treaty, but in essence, maintains the same commercial dynamics among the three countries. This agreement will now be called United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA).

The good news in the areas that have to do with the issue of migration, is that there has been virtually no change here, and therefore the renowned USMCA will continue to be one of the best options for citizens of Mexican origin to opt for a permit. of work and, eventually, the Canadian residence.

Because as we have explained in previous columns, with all the changes that have occurred in recent years in the Canadian immigration system , one of the best options for citizens of Chile, Mexico, Colombia and Peru (residents of Peru and Colombia ) to get to Canada citizens are the opportunities offered by their free trade agreements with our country.

I say this because these treaties have very important repercussions for people who want to come to work in Canada , by allowing permanent residents and citizens of these countries to benefit because they facilitate the reciprocal entry of different workers to both countries. This means, in particular, that Mexican citizens who have a job offer in certain categories of a Canadian company, or people who want to open a business, are facilitated to obtain a work permit.

Obtain a work permit in Canada

It is important to note that the treaties themselves do not have any type of program or category that allows a person to apply for permanent residency in Canada , but it does facilitate entry into the country with a work permit in four specific categories.

  • One is the category of people who come to invest money or do business with Canada. For these people there is the possibility of obtaining a work permit as long as they come to open a company.
  • The second is the facility for visitors who come to do business in Canada, who can get a work permit without much difficulty. Generally, this category applies to people who come to fairs, business exhibitions, people who come to give services for a very short time, or artists who come to make specific presentations.
  • The third category is that of senior executives who can come to the country through a process of transferring their companies, that is, companies that have their headquarters in the country of origin and that have a branch in Canada can apply for a work permit to transfer executives to come to manage or open the company or subsidiary. This program is only for executives and people with specialized knowledge.
  • The fourth category that opens with the entry into force of Free Trade Agreements, and which certainly can be the most advantageous, is the category of professionals and technicians, since there is a list of specialized occupations and occupations that allow it to to a citizen of countries that have signed a treaty with Canada to obtain a work permit.

Basically what is needed is a job offer from a Canadian company (which does not necessarily have to be a large company), by which this worker or professional is allowed to do a paperwork to obtain a work visa without the need to show that the Canadian company can not get Canadian citizens or permanent residents to do that job.

This is a relatively simple procedure, as long as

  • the worker has a profession or occupation that is included in the list of professions of the treaty
  • there is a job offer from a Canadian company
  • the person is nationalized or born in one of the above-mentioned countries
  • have knowledge of English or French
  • complies with the requirements of the profession or occupation according to the requirements of the corresponding treaty

The work permits of the first three categories have a duration of between three months and a year, depending on what the person comes for. For transferred executives and for the category of professionals and technicians, work permits can be renewed annually without an established limit.

For the fourth category, that is, for professionals and technicians, and once they are in Canada they can change companies if they wish, so apart from these options created with the Free Trade Agreement (now called USMCA for the case of Mexico) are an excellent opportunity to come to Canada with a work permit, a huge door is opened and then you can apply for permanent residence since having a job offer in Canada has become one of the most important factors important so that people can apply for permanent residence in the country.

It must be borne in mind that once a person is in Canada with a work permit the doors that are opened are, among others, to be able to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian experience program, which requires that workers have worked in the country with a work permit in specific occupations for a period of one year so that after doing an English test and obtain the minimum score required, can apply for permanent residence.

Additionally, you can also use the Federal Program and the different Provincial Nominating Programs of the country, which also lead a worker to obtain permanent residency.

It is important to note that for people who are in Canada undocumented and for those who are visiting, this is a good opportunity to investigate if their occupations are on that list of occupations with priorities, because if so, if They can draw a strategy so that they can, using the treaties as a starting point, obtain permanent residency.

In this sense, people who are in Canada and who read this information, and who wish to help a friend or relative to come to Canada, or who want to process their permanent residence in the country themselves, should investigate if their occupations they are on the list of priorities established by the Free Trade Agreements between Canada and Mexico, Chile, Colombia, and Peru. If they are, they must get a job offer, which could facilitate their entry into the country with a work permit that can then lead them to permanent residence.

By Vilma Filici is a renowned specialist with more than 30 years of experience in the field of Immigration. Through this blog, the adviser will offer news and articles of interest on this important topic for our community. You can contact the mail [email protected] or by phone (416) 482-1575.

Source: Montreal Hispanocity

The Mazatlan Post