- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 Avocado From Mexico ripe and mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 3 tablespoons crushed almonds
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a baking dish with cooking spray.
- To melt the chocolate you can do it carefully in the microwave or in a metal container. When the chocolate is melted, add all the non-dry ingredients: vanilla, avocado, and eggs, constantly beating with a whisk to prevent the egg from cooking. Then add the dry ingredients: sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, coffee, and almonds. Continue beating until everything is well combined.
- Pour into pan and bake for 20 minutes or until ready.
These super simple and easy Mint Chocolate Avocado Brownies are absolutely delicious! By replacing the butter with avocado, these Mint Chocolate Avocado Brownies are not only gluten-free, keto but also dairy-free and low in calories. I have already made these twice…the thicker brownies were in a 9 x 5 loaf pan and the thinner ones in an 8 x 8 square pan.
I have been wanting to make these brownies for over two years.
You see, two years ago when I was visiting my sister in Ottawa, my niece and nephew made Mint Chocolate Brownies for me and they were AMAZING!!!
Then, this year when I was home for Canadian Thanksgiving, my niece and nephew surprised me by bringing a batch of brownies as a gift.
Am I the luckiest aunt ever or what?!!!
After finding out that they got the recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction, I quickly googled the recipe because I knew I wanted to make some of these beauties when I got back home to Florida.
Now, although I absolutely LOVE Sally’s Baking Addiction and aspire to have as beautiful a blog as she has, almost all her recipes contain wheat, sugar, and dairy.
Since I suffer from wheat sensitivities as well as insulin resistant issues, I try to get my diet void of those ingredients.
So, not wanting to give up on making these delicious Mint Brownies from Sally’s Baking Addiction,
MINT CHOCOLATE AVOCADO BROWNIES
I decided to attempt to create a similar recipe that would be sugar-free, dye-free, dairy-free, gluten-free but certainly NOT taste-free!
WHAT MAKES THIS RECIPE EASY AND SIMPLE?
First, all the wet ingredients are combined in a high-speed blender. This eliminates the step of having to mash the avocado. Then, by simply pouring the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, your Mint Chocolate Avocado Brownies are ready for the oven.
So, from start to finish, you can have healthy brownies in under 20 minutes!!! Best thing yet, your family will never guess they are actually healthy!
ARE THESE BROWNIES DRY SINCE THEY DON’T CONTAIN OIL?
Believe it or not, these brownies are really moist. Avocado itself has a higher fat content as well as a high fiber content. This keeps the brownies from drying out as well as keeping then lower in calories than most brownies.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE THESE MINT CHOCOLATE AVOCADO BROWNIES
- 1 small Haas Avocado
- coconut milk or almond milk (from a container)
- sugar (white and brown)
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- coconut flour
- chocolate chips (optional)
- pure peppermint extract (optional)
HOW TO MAKE BROWNIES
- in a medium-size mixing bowl, add coconut flour and unsweetened cocoa powder
- combine the avocado, milk, eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla in a high-speed blender and blend for 1 minute
- pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and stir to combine
- add in the peppermint extract (if using)
- pour into a lined 8 x 8 baking dish (or a 9 x 5 loaf pan to get the thicker looking brownies) and sprinkle with chocolate chips (if using)
- bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- cool completely before cutting
DO I HAVE TO ADD THE PEPPERMINT EXTRACT?
If you do not like peppermint or mint flavour, simply omit the extract. It does not change the baking or the deliciousness of these brownies.
HOW COME THESE BROWNIES ARE ONLY 40 CALORIES EACH?
I use Lakanto Golden Sugar and Erythritol which are zero-calorie sweeteners. If you use regular white and brown sugar, the calorie count will go up slightly. If you use regular white and brown sugar, the calorie per brownie is 78 calories per brownie. Still an amazingly low number for such a delicious and decadent treat!
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE A HIGH-SPEED BLENDER?
If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you can absolutely still make this recipe. Simply mash the avocado first and then continue following the recipe as stated.
IF YOU LIKE THIS CHOCOLATE RECIPE, YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THE FOLLOWING:
- Low Carb Chocolate Souffles
- Simple Chocolate Cream Cheese Roll Cake (Keto, GF)
- Easy Keto Chocolate Peanut Bars (A.K.A. Copycat Oh Henry! Bars)
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free)
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake
- Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Cookies (Keto, Gluten-free)