Learn a little about the most important festival in Oaxaca that brings together more than 12 regions that meet year after year in the Cerro del Fortín
The Fiesta de la Guelaguetza is one of the most important celebrations in the state of Oaxaca and due to its great color it has transcended borders, becoming one of the most popular shows by foreigners.
That is why here we leave some curious information about the Oaxacan party:
- Its beginning was due to a series of earthquakes that hit the city of Oaxaca.
- The then-president Genaro Vázquez, held the first festival in order to help the residents
- There were eight regions gathered on the Fortín hill where La cañada , La Costa , El Istmo, La Mixteca , La Cuenca del Papaloapan, Sierra Azul , Sierra Norte and Los Valles Centrale s, demonstrated the best that their towns offered.
- At the first party there were only exchanges in kind due to lack of money and to encourage their citizens there were expressions of singing, dancing, and declarations.
- Then the social gatherings went from a barter market to a big party where they told stories, talked about scientific and political issues, there was poetry, dance and music contest.
- After the end of Vázquez’s term, the festival stopped
They resumed the Fiesta de la Guelaguetza in order to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the city of Oaxaca.
- The locals who were concentrated in the Fortín dressed as Heralds and played the trumpets, later the maidens came out with 7 goddesses of brotherhood and 7 spirits of good; finally, the party took shape when the women took the pineapples and danced the Guelaguetza.
- They put the Fiesta de la Guelaguetza as a synonym for fraternity between the regions.
- In the book La Guelaguetza en Oaxaca by Jesús Lizama Quijano, he points out that the post-revolutionary context of the third decade of the 20th century encouraged the nationalism of popular traditions, this originated the Lunes del Cerro or the Guelaguetza.
Currently, the “Lunes del Cerro” party continues in July of each year, with the presentation of the traditional dances of our communities, shows, and cultural and sports events. Long before the festivity begins, you can appreciate the visit of national and foreign tourists, who come to live and enjoy our Oaxacan festivals. To all this, we must add that it is extremely important to know the traditions and customs of the 8 regions of ours, since in them you can appreciate the cultural diversity that distinguishes one region from another.
Oaxaca Tourism Office Office
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Telephone: (951) 5021200 Av Juarez # 703, Centro Oaxaca.
The 40th edition of the maximum party of Oaxacans will take place on July 20 and 27, 2020
Oaxaca will wear its most festive costume in the more than 100 artistic and cultural activities. The men and women of the eight regions of the state to share with the Oaxacans, national and international tourism, a sample of the great ethnic and cultural wealth of Oaxaca.
As part of the “Julio, Mes de la Guelaguetza” program, which were managed by the Ministry of Tourism and the Ministry of Culture, included in the program of the largest folkloric and ethnic festival in Latin America: the Guelaguetza.
CRAFT FAIR EXPO
Gastronomic, craft, sports exhibitions, customs representations of the most diverse communities in the state. As well as exhibitions, concerts and all kinds of events that spread the culture and sport of Oaxaca. (+) INFO
WEEK OF CRAFTS
Cravings Week is the best place to taste the different varieties of dishes, drinks and regional sweets from Oaxaca. (+) INFO
For all evil, mezcal and for all good, too; Aged, restful, young, white, with flavors, Oaxacan mezcal has a wide variety that meets at the Mezcal Fair and will delight all your senses; enjoy it at the Guelaguetza Fair. (+) INFO
For The Latest Mexico News About Living, Working, Investing or Retiring in Mexico Please Join and Share our Page Click Here
Source: oaxaca.gob.mx, oaxaca-mio.com, heraldodemexico.com.mx
The Mazatlan Post