Hundreds of people come to visit the hot springs, the mural of cave paintings in Huites cave, as well as the beauty of its municipal seat.
Choix, Sinaloa.- The municipality of Choix stands out in the north of Sinaloa, for its natural tourist attractions, the warmth of its inhabitants, beautiful landscapes and delicious cuisine, so characteristic of the entity.
Juan Ramón Reyes Gill, director of Tourism in the Alteño municipality that, in this winter vacation period, most families go to enjoy the hot springs which, in addition to being a tourist center and guaranteed fun, It is also a place known for its healing properties.
“Here in the municipality we have places that stand out for their nature and more in the winter season and people come together a lot in the visits of tourists, what they visit the most are the hot springs that are in Aguacaliente de Baca, more in the season of cold, ”said the municipal official.
Those interested in going to this place should know in advance that this site is open from Monday to Sunday from 9 in the morning to 6 in the afternoon.
Likewise, the Luis Donaldo Colosio dam, better known as Huites, is an attractive site whose top is guarded by a cave that has 6 thousand square meters of cave paintings by the artist Federico Silva, the last of the living Mexican muralists.
In addition, he stressed that the municipal seat of Choix has iconic places for the enjoyment of visitors and interesting and beautiful settings so that they can take pictures as a family.
“There is El Vado, the linear park, El Mirador that is an icon here in the municipality, the Municipal Square,” said Reyes Gill.
There is also the José Ángel Espinoza “Ferrusquilla” museum, a great character from the “golden cinema” and renowned singer-songwriter born in Choix.
Among the communities that stand out in Choix for their deep-rooted traditions and Jesuit origins are: Baymena, San Javier, and Baca.
For this reason, Juan Reyes invites people to visit Choix and enjoy all its attractions.
“Let them visit the municipality, it is very quiet, very healthy, we find natural places, very beautiful places, which leave us with a very good taste in our mouths.”
Choix or also called Choiz comes from the cahita “Choim” which means “Las breas”, and this was applied to a tribe that collectors of gums or vegetable resins; This place name means, according to Don Héctor R. Olea, “Place of brea” or “Where the resin collectors live”.
The mountainous region of the current municipality of Choix was populated by the Tzoes, Cinaloas and Huites, whose settlements were located on the banks of the Zuaque River, formerly called Carapaa and today known as the Fuerte River. With the entry of Captain Francisco de Ibarra to Sinaloa in 1564, following the course of the Zuaque River, the possibility of exploring new lands and conquering the indigenous peoples located on its margins was opened.
However, it is until 1591 with the arrival of the Jesuits, that the Spanish penetration begins, conquering the province, with the missionary system than with the military. In 1605 the Jesuit Father Cristóbal Villalta arrived in the region, who ventured among the Tzoes and catechized the indigenous people, founding missions in the towns of San Ignacio de Choix, San José de Toro, Huites, San Rafael in Baymena and Nuestra Señora de la Concepción. in Baca, this last town burned in 1625, five years after the priest Villalta had been removed from those missions.
The territory currently occupied by the municipality of Choix, was part of the province of Sinaloa, belonging to Nueva Vizcaya, with head in the Villa de San Felipe and Santiago de Sinaloa, today Sinaloa de Leyva; its jurisdiction reached in the seventeenth century as far as the Yaqui River and was bordered to the south by the Mocorito River. In 1813, the Constitution of Cádiz comes into force; Article 310 contemplates the installation of town halls in towns with more than 1 000 inhabitants. In 1814, Fernando VII repealed the Constitution, but it was reinstated in 1829; from this moment, the first municipalities were installed in Sinaloa. In 1912, with law number 21, the division of the state into municipalities, receiverships and police stations was decreed.
This provision does not take effect until 1915, when by law the directorships are abolished. By decree of September 11, 1916, the political directorate of Choix was established as a free municipality and depended for a year on the municipality of El Fuerte, which had been erected as a municipality in 1915. Its previous limits as a political directorate were recognized,