Over 23,000 families depend on the hotel industry in Mazatlan


The AHyET regrets that there is no support from the Federal Government

Mazatlán, Sinaloa.- In Mazatlán, the hotel sector provides an economic livelihood of more than 23 thousand families, revealed Julio Birrueta, director of the Association of Hotels and Tourist Companies of Mazatlán (AHyET).

However, he noted that about 70 percent of workers receive much of their earnings from tips. Therefore, he explained that in these days of contingency and suspension of work, they will be receiving income well below normal.

“In the hotel industry throughout Mexico, tips represent 80 percent of income, it means that some people are leaving with 20 percent of the usual, I’m talking about 70 percent of jobs, not all”, mentioned.

The State Government, headed by Quirino Ordaz Coppel, announced the closure of beaches and the hotel sector, due to the Covid-19 health emergency.

Birrueta regretted that the Federal Government is not providing sufficient support and even so, in full contingency, it is collecting taxes, basic services and requesting annual declarations without any extension.

“It is a very difficult situation but more difficult is having to endure it without support,” he reiterated.

Yesterday, the Secretary of Tourism in Sinaloa, Óscar Pérez Barros, announced that the payment of the Lodging Service Tax that was stipulated to be declared on April 17 would be postponed. However, an extension will be given for May 17.

Source: reaccioninformativa.com

The Mazatlan Post