A few days ago, Petróleos Mexicanos (Pemex) announced the discovery of a new oil field in Ixachi, Veracruz, and it is estimated that it could reach more than one billion barrels of crude oil.
A finding that may contribute to the promise of lowering the price of energy made by Andrés Manuel López Obrador becomes, in the coming years, a reality.
The discovery of this site, 72 kilometers from the port of Veracruz, is one of the most important in the last 25 years. In fact, the director of Pemex, Carlos Treviño, announced that this finding ranks fourth worldwide.
In the announcement, it was highlighted that the discovery occurred thanks to the work of several generations of geologists, geophysicists, engineers, researchers, workers, and new technologies.
In this regard, the director of exploration of Pemex, Javier Hinojosa Puebla, said that the discovery of Ixachi is “the result of professional work and the enormous capacity of the Mexican workers of Pemex.”
It is estimated that this deposit could generate one billion barrels per day, with an approximate value of up to 40 billion dollars. It also approached that it will reach its fullness between 2020 and 2022.
Hinojosa added that “we have a deposit with total reserves exceeding one billion barrels of oil equivalent” in 3P reserves, that is, proven, probable and possible.
He also explained that with this, “we would obtain 80 thousand barrels per day of condensate (…) and with the good news that it is a sweet condensate, of very high quality. And about 700 million cubic feet per day of natural gas. “
Carlos Treviño added that hydrocarbons worth 40 billion dollars “at today’s prices” could be extracted from the deposit .
Pemex indicated that the production of this deposit will be of great help to “meet the demand for gas and liquid hydrocarbons required by the country for its development in the short and medium terms.”
Enrique Peña Nieto announced in November 2017 that Pemex had discovered Ixachi, which it qualified as the largest oil and gas field in land fields in 15 years and that could provide 3P reserves of approximately 350 million barrels of oil equivalent.
In addition, on October 9, Pemex also announced the discovery of seven deposits in two fields of the Gulf of Mexico, with the potential to incorporate 180 million barrels of crude oil into Mexican reserves.
These deposits are:
- Manik, with two extraction sites and a potential of 80 million barrels, located 102 kilometers from Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche. It was discovered in April with a total depth of 4 thousand 765 meters.
- Mulach, with five deposits and a potential of 100 million barrels. It is located 17 kilometers from Paraíso, Tabasco, and has a depth of 3,976 meters.
The Mazatlan Post
- Relocating to Mexico NO BULL with Mexico Relocation Guide! Ep02. Purchasing Real Estate in Mexico
- Mazatlan Elements of the Rescue Squad and Firefighters will receive a course to save lives in fast-moving waters and floods
- Vaccination for children between 5 and 11 years old against Covid begins on Monday 27
- Mazatlan Baseball Cup fills hotels and restaurants