Starts 15 Jan 2019 to 23 Jan 2019
Traditional festival, which is made up of music, dance, crafts, gastronomy, religious ceremonies, and other entertainment. It is part of the festivities in honor of Our Lord of Esquipulas, San Antonio Abad and San Sebastián. The “Parachicos” are traditional dancers, who wear a wooden mask, colored yarn and a rattle. These dancers go out in the streets to dance to the sound of the drum and the reed. While they go out to dance through the streets, they visit different houses and churches that have the saints, who are offered a kind of offering with dancing. The parachicos approach them to touch them, and thank them for what they have been given. The number of parachicos is such
The celebrations are officially from January 15 to 23, 2019, but days before (on January 8) the “Announcement of the Chuntaes” takes place, which consists of a tour of all the churches of the town, very fun. In this “Great Fair” you can enjoy mechanical games, food sales, combat, the parade of allegorical cars, and especially the emblematic tour of the “parachicos” and the “chuntáes”.
(half of the population goes out to dance), they need a guide, that is why there is a “patron of the parachicos”, a position that passes from generation to generation.
Summarizing the program of activities, the chronogram of the main acts are the following:
• January 8, 2019 (Tuesday): Announcement of the Chuntas.
• January 13, 2019 (Sunday): At 07:30 hours the Parachicos Race.
• January 14, 2019 (Monday): Announcement of the Feast of Saint Anthony Abbot.
• January 15, 2019 (Tuesday): Feast of the Lord of Esquipulas.
• January 17, 2019 (Thursday): Feast of San Antonio Abad.
• January 18, 2019 (Friday): Visit of the parachicos to the Deceased Patterns.
• January 19, 2019 (Saturday): Park Party announcement.
• January 20, 2019 (Sunday): Fiesta de San Sebastián.
• January 21, 2019 (Monday): Naval Combat of Chiapa de Corzo on the Grijalva River.
• January 22, 2019 (Tuesday): Parade of floats, event that is led by the chuntás and parachicos, the music and war band of the state government.
• January 23, 2019 (Wednesday): Farewell and promise of parachicos in the temple of Santo Domingo de Guzmán. Transfer from San Sebastian to the House of the new Prioste. Last Dance of the For boys in the House of the Pattern. Confetti war in the park.
Info : Chiapa de Corzo one of the most beautiful cities of Chiapas, Mexico. It has innumerable monuments, but the most emblematic is La Pila(Source of the Queen), which is a source of Mudejar style built in 1562 and made of red brick. According to historians, it is unique of its kind in Latin America. If during these dates you are visiting the State of Chiapas do not hesitate to see this beautiful city in one of its best moments, the Fiesta de Enero.
More information: www.chiapadecorzo.gob.mx
The Mazatlan Post